Thursday 13 October 2005

There are no ugly women, only lazy ones

That was by Helena Rubinstein (though I always thought it was Estee Lauder). Now replace "women" with "people".

Lately, been snapping shots (of myself) with my new mobile - novelty la, never had one with a camera. And I am looking good!

Lately, been people watching - noticed some, well, plain-looking people on the streets. I looked and I stared and I thought, and I found these common traits:
1) they didn't (know how to) make an effort to dress up
2) they had a horribly grumpy etc expression, like they were irritated by the smell of air
3) they looked lost, their eyes unfocused

When I identified these three points, I realised many of them who are not born pretty or handsome actually have the potential to look good, by which I mean more than the looks - it's in the attitude.

First of all, beauty like that of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie - convenient examples - is more than just a matter of genes. YOu need the upkeep, ie correct matching of clothes that suit you. You can be pretty but look like shit in your mother's dress; you can be obese but look damn cool in a suit.

And don't forget the make-up. Even guys can do with a bit of concealer sometimes..

Then, you can read magazines and experiment with styles and colours but you must first have the attitude to want to look good. No one is going to like a grumpy person, and everyone will pass a pair of glazed eyes by. This one, well, you've got to help yourself!

Change their attitude, spice up their wardrobe with a (correct) dash of colour maybe, and I can just imagine how much more attractive they will become simply cos they look radiant, happy and focused! Then they will feel confident and great about themselves too :) Despite all that bullshit about inner beauty, don't ever discount the weight of looks..

Believe me cos I'm an example of a plain girl (the kind who wears her mother's dresses) made good! :p

Anyone needs a puking bag?

Psst, if you're that darn difficult to convince, perhaps this will help.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds cool.. But need $$$ :(

    SZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohhhh tt reminds me of an article Ms Janice Wong wrote in Streats some time back...

    yep i agree, every girl needs some touch up on their faces when going out to look less auntie-ish!

    ReplyDelete