Friday 21 October 2005

Happy birthday to my cute Grams!

Today is the exact day of her 82th birthday by the lunar calendar. We celebrated last Sunday with pizza and KFC - yes, Grams always wanted something the kids would like, except that Hui was the only one who qualified as a kid now..

We cut the cake after lunch, it was fun to see so many of us crowding around the table! Grams looked slightly amused as she posed for the camera for our sake. I like her :)

After all the eating, the cousins were sitting around and talking while Hui was jumping everywhere. Then she decided to tie my hair. I remember Ling used to tie my hair when I was at Hui's age. Now that I've grown up, I let Hui tie my hair. Seems that my hair has always been well taken care of hur?

My maternal grandfather - his peaceful but sudden passing in 2002 demostrated to me, for the first time, the concept of death and loss - had a provision shop in the next block. It was really old; instead of a till, there were two Milo tins of cash hanging from the ceiling beams. Think I put a picture of us cousins standing in front of the shop some time ago.

Since young, we've been visiting Gramps and Grams every other Sunday. We would head first for the shop cos that was where everyone would be. After running about for a couple of hours, munching on tidbits in the shop or blowing dozens of those sticky balloons from glue or something (bought two tubes of them a while ago - Bestman Blowing Balloons!), it was time for a simple lunch in the shophouse kitchen.

The cousins used to play "Simon says" on the balcony in the shophouse. One of the two rooms was used as a stock room and it was always filled with giant boxes of candy and chocolate - it must be yummies, I just knew it! :) Sometimes we would play hide and seek in that room, with the lights off. Could be quite scary sometimes *.* The shop closed after lunch on Sundays so everyone would move to the flat and stay there to chat and play until late.

I love this tiny flat, having spent so much of my most memorable childhood times here..

She's happy :)


Now I feel like writing in Chinese:
看着外婆的相片,我有一种莫名的感动。其实她的生活很简单,其实她并不需要大势庆生。但她知道大家都好爱好爱她,为她庆生也是我们想让她开心。

老人家嘛,总不喜欢照相,所以我趁她开心地望着小荟荟时,偷偷地给她来个特写!我就喜欢她脸带微笑的样子,尽管皱皱的,尽管画满了时光的痕迹。

我希望有一天,我也会和外婆一样,老得那么可爱!

1 comment: