Sunday 8 January 2006

Abuse of mf

MF = baka
Discuss.


* baka means stupid in Jap

KLK were discussing about something when Kel mentioned a new thread on abusing mf. Tok had the cheek to really start a new thread on it! Above two lines were message content, like a freaking GP question..

So.. answer it, I shall!! But don't expect any proper structure as required in exams..

Over the years I have come to understand that I give people the impression that I'm brilliant. The most recent example happened last night over dinner and dessert with Kel and Moh, who mentioned that our class had a greater proportion of single (and very available) persons than other classes at this point in time. Does it have anything to do with ours being a stream class? And that the smart girls were worse off.

mf: I don't think I'm very smart leh..
Kel: That's like insulting our batch of NJCians.. (cos I topped our year, a shared honour with two others, I must add)
mf: But that's only academic! Just need to mug!
Moh: Other people mug too..
Kel: Both la, need to be smart plus mug..
Moh: Ok, let's say there are guys who are less smart!

*pause* Did the little boy next door just call me "auntie" as he walked past my unit?! Omg! I know I'm 26 today but..!

(continued) Oh yes, there are, but there are also many who are smarter than I am. I suppose I could beat everyone flat in my heyday back in school but what's the use of that now that I'm out of school and at work?

I suspect people take me at face value - they think I'm smart cos of my amazing academic record that even I myself am surprised at. I'm going to be pompous and say that I never left the top three positions since pri 6 (3rd, lost by ridiculous margins like 1/400), I graduated top of batch in Sec despite less than perfect score with two A2s in Physics and Jap, and finally, I left the Singapore education system with 8 A1s under my belt, catapulted straight to Oxford on a scholarship.

Perhaps you may now think I'm smart. Otherwise, I thank you, and congratulate you that you aren't fooled by my paper qualifications.

Studying ceased to be my priority in Oxford; I had by then understood that academic excellence alone could not help me survive in the real world. I needed to see the world, to learn more than wave motion and Euler. But I didn't think I learnt enough.

There are days, if I do sit down and think about it, when I feel more stupid than anyone could imagine I could have felt. About things I've said and things I've done, as well as those I should have said or observed, both at work and in my social life. I've since convinced myself that things that are said or done are said and done so I should not worry about it - just laugh it off. But for things I should have done, I'm as yet unable to let go very well. I need to train myself to be sharper, to think wider and deeper, to control my little whims and petty ways, though perhaps not all lest I cease to be mf..

Think the point is, I wish to be known as enlightened as an adult then as smart cos of exams. I wish for such understanding. Perhaps that's why whenever I receive compliments in the light of being "clever" and - I can't believe this unless it comes with being mf - "creative", I feel rather uneasy, and slightly ashamed too as I feel inadequate for the compliments. I suppose I'm slightly enlightened in that I recognise my inadequacies?

Don't know if I'm making sense anymore (stupidity may have kicked in a long while ago) so I shall stop the heavy stuff and go on to the more usual (?) lighthearted stuff.. Came across this test the other day, some weird results.
Not sure if they truly support the proposition though..

Well-Rounded
You have:
55% SCIENTIFIC INTUITION and
47% EMOTIONAL INTUITION


The graph below represents your place in Intuition 2-Space. As you can see, you scored about average on emotional intuition and about average on scientific intuition.Keep in mind that very few people score high on both! In effect, you can compare your two intuition scores with each other to learn what kind of intuition you're best at. (Weirdly, your emotional and scientific intuitions are equally strong.)

Your Emotional Intuition score is a measure of how well you understand people, especially their unspoken needs and sympathies. A high score score usually indicates social grace and persuasiveness. A low score usually means you're good at Quake (mf: what the hell is Quake?!).

Your Scientific Intuition score tells you how in tune you are with the world around you; how well you understand your physical and intellectual environment. People with high scores here are apt to succeed in business and, of course, the sciences.


My test tracked 2 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

free online datingfree online dating
You scored higher than 13% on Scientific
free online datingfree online dating
You scored higher than 6% on Interpersonal


Link: The 2-Variable Intuition Test written by jason_bateman on Ok Cupid, home of the 32-Type Dating Test

I'm in the STUPID region and yet I'm well-rounded? Perhaps it's not so bad afterall! :p

1 comment:

  1. There are days when I feel quite lost too, or feel not particularly smart :p Usually caused by a lack of knowledge or experience. Anyway, you can't do really well at school with pure intellect (I tried :p) or through mugging along (countless others tried). And I bet you're not doing too badly now either. - Zain

    PS. I have 62% scientific and 92% emotional intuition. Thought it would be the other way around.

    ReplyDelete