Friday 30 December 2005

Chinese movies

Seldom watch them, especially those HK productions in Canto but dubbed into Mandarin, but this month, I watched three:

1) Perhaps, Love
Honestly, despite the ratings, I was bored. Perhaps the songs were new and strange to me. For musical films, I like only Moulin Rouge and De-Lovely. For West Side Story and Chicago, thought the musicals were better. Don't remember others.. For this movie, I remember only the one-liner sung by the female lead when she was a poor country girl:
外面的世界很精彩,外面的世界很无奈……
(Old song by 齐秦)

2) The Promise
This movie got a Korean and a Jap to speak Mandarin. Come to think of it, there was a Korean guy speaking Mandarin in the previous show.. I can understand why people say it's crap, eg the ridiculous scene where Kunlun was saving Qingcheng like he was flying her as a kite.. Two guys walked out in the middle of the show saying "it sucks!" :p But I quite like the show on the whole, pretty interesting storyline. Anyway, my main takeaway is something like this:
速度是看不见的,(凭感觉?) 就象你不知道叶什么时候变黄,婴儿什么时候长出第一颗牙,自己什么时候爱上一个人……

3) A Chinese Tall Story
Spoof of a spoof of Journey to the West? A bit slow in the middle but overall entertaining.. Not just cos of eye candy Nicholas Tse, ok.. Anyway he looked better in The Promise than here; too thin!

Back to movie.. Centred on Tripitaka, a coward who was bullied by his disciples! Reminded me of the Tripitaka in a much older film by Stephen Chow who nagged and nagged at the demons guarding him until they killed themselves :p But this one became very brave later in the show because.. he fell in love! Omg, a monk fell in love! He wrote a couplet on sand, only remember the second line, something like how to not betray both buddha and love: 不负如来不负卿

The ending part where he saved his love reminded me of this anime Video Girl Ai, if anyone has seen that before..

1 comment:

  1. Anime Video Ai! The author who draw DNA2? About the girl from video and guy fall in love with her? Very nice story!! I like the comics than the anime (the anime is half the story of the comics)!!

    :)
    YY

    ReplyDelete