Wednesday 5 January 2005

Before the turn of a quarter century..

mf has been real busy since the new year but now that giant mtg #1 is over and the minutes done, I can relax until giant mtg #2 at the end of month :)

Hup reminded me to blog on that pair of trousers we saw at Heeren on 1 Jan when we went shopping, so I shall!

I was trying to find a pair of trousers to wear with my pretty lacy top that I bought with Na at a handbag sale. Fyi, the sale also had shoes.. Anyway, we went into Chaos and I spotted this black pair, all spandex and lycra and looking like I'll never carry it off in a hundred years. But I tried anyway - trying is free :p

Guess what, my love handles didn't show and my butt looked cute! Heh.. Sito exclaimed I had small legs; he thought I'd be bigger! @#%$@@ But Hup was the pro man.. "A bit short.. Cannot wear very high heels.. Wear lower heels la!" The salesgirl was definitely impressed! I liked it except for the length and the price: $79. My tummy was like, FLAT! Maybe I might go get it afterall..

Received two cards from my friends in Japan in the past four days. Miki is ever so thoughtful, to send me a Xmas/NY card every year. And WX remembers my birthday every year; I'll always receive warm greetings from her the week of my birthday. I'm always very touched when I receive cards, cos it means people remember my existence! And also cos I'm forever the guilty one who always forgets..

Actually I find that I feel gan dong easily, by small gestures/favours that people do for me, when friends confide in me, and by even a song, an mtv or fiction.

Digress: That reminds me, I want to write! I hope to start with short stories and move on to a novel one day. Or I could start smaller, writing only a plot of some story in my mind. One lifetime is just too short for experience, but we can learn from other people, friends and strangers around us, they must have different experience. Since I've only got one life to live - and I doubt I can ever act in real life drama, I can live out alternatives lives in my own stories. Once I find time, I shall put up little pieces of fiction in a separate blog. But must have ling gan first.. Watch out for it, ya? :)

As I was saying, I'm easily touched.. Woe be the day when I can no longer feel my tears welling up in my beady eyes, or when I don't feel my heart jerk with empathy. That's the saddest thing isn't it? If people don't feel anymore..

But lately, I've got the sense that despite our worldly pursuits, people do feel; they just don't show it. Just look at the tsunami relief efforts, I thought it was pretty amazing. And even anti-government bodies have ceased fire following the disaster which had already claimed so many lives.

No disrepect intended but that kind of begs the question: why should it take a major natural disaster to make people realise that there exist things which are bigger than what they are mundanely fighting for? There is a much bigger force out there and I'm not being theistic, I'm referring to the whole freaking universe itself of which we have only learnt a fraction. We may have all the technology but can we prevent a asteroid cruising at three million lightyears per second from knocking us out of our orbit before we even spot it on the radar?

One thing very "winner" about the tsunami incident was how authorities could actually manage NOT to get people away in time even though they were amply notified. The high number of casualties is no longer due to tian zai alone; it is also ren wei.

* Cos I haven't been following the news since mid Dec, pls correct if I've got the facts wrong..

No comments:

Post a Comment