Tuesday 25 January 2005

Dreaming of spires..

Last night I had a postcard waiting for me on the living room table.

"Oxford University Careers Service"

This morning, I filled in an online questionnaire as requested by the postcard. Then I roamed into the homepage of my alma mater.

A familiar picture greeted me and brought warmth to me in the freezing office.


Source: www.ox.ac.uk

As I ventured a little deeper into the website, I dug into the recesses of my mind.

Closing my eyes, I can see my arms moving and my legs walking along High Street, my lungs taking in the crisp air as my head falls backwards, and I see the beautiful (albeit cloudy) skies, and I'll smile at nothing in particular - maybe the skies - and think, "Man, how wonderful is this!"

At moments like that, I thank the Greater Being* for making it possible for me to be there, to immerse in the simple serenity of a peaceful connection with the intangibles on the buzzing streets filled with temptations from Harvey's to Jigsaw to Carfax Fish & Chips.

* No I'm not religious. No offense but I have enough on my hands to think about the (proof to the) existence of any supernatural greater being. The physics of the world is more powerful than any of us could ever know or even imagine. My Greater Being.. *Pause* I decide I shall not digress and talk about this now (read: maybe later in another post); let's get back to Oxford :)

I recall one day as I left office at 645pm, I felt a familiarity so strong I could only tell Kel in an sms:

"As i walk down the slope at thomson, i had this v familiar feeling, the sky and the smell of the air feels so much like when i was walking down iffley road on gym side back to my ulu flat near dusk. So i look up, breathe in and smile like i always did in oxford. Cheap thrill maybe but man, don't i love the feel!"

Erm, yes I kept the sms..

Things are different here in SG. No spires, no Sheldonian, no freaking weather. But the skies of Oxford sometimes manifest in SG, and sweet familiar smells float by once in a while. I guess I am contented by these little sights and senses whenever they appear.

But other times, I'll still miss the huge spiders in my bathroom, and mourn the big one that I smashed with a detergent bottle.

2 comments:

  1. eeeeieeewwww.... spiders SHOULD be squished, pls! man, damn envious of the experience you have. I wish I had the chance to study overseas. I don't feel no 异国情调 anywhere anywhere man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee I don't like spiders ok but you'll miss the strangest aspects of things/places/people you love, won't you? :)

    ReplyDelete