Sunday 9 January 2005

Ren Ci charity show

End up I didn't go to visit Grams, feeling shitty so decided to stay in and slack. Have been donning my yellow pyjamas since 430pm to watch the Bao Gong show on TV and read Female in bed. Only just came out to the living room.

MZ is watching the Ren Ci charity show. It must be the, what, 10th such show in the past year? I do understand it's all for a good cause but so many in a year? I'm seriously hitting charity fatigue. Sometimes I don't even know what each show is for. Perhaps I'm not the only one cos apparently they are falling short of target.

And it's a torture to watch some emcees pleading with the audience to make that $5 donation. Even harder to watch are those stunts that the poor artistes have to perform to win donations from the sympathetic public. I remember watching Sharon Au climb a ladder of knives; I couldn't bear a minute of it.

Then there are those heart-wrenching stories of families caring for a child or an elder with some disease. I imagine it must be hard on them to profile their difficulties on national TV and then be interviewed live at the show somemore. But I guess it must be done to let the public understand their plight la..

It's also quite a bad time to air the show; given the recent tsunami, many would be more likely to give to the relief efforts which are still on-going. That one was really tough. After a couple of days, the number of casualties simply became too big to comprehend and the scale of damage unimaginable. Tourist video recordings of the tsunami were very scary =(

Actually, when I was out with Na in town yesterday, many students approached us for donations. We just kept walking - I even said no to some - with our many shopping bags, not giving a cent. At one point, Na was asking if people get more hen3 xin1 as they grow older cos last time when we were in school, we would give 20 cents on flag day. Well, *shrug*

I owe a major sleep debt. Think I'd better go make a single call, just to support the poor woman who is hanging upside down now before going to sleep (after current phonecall) and forgeting all about it - until my phone bill arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment