Monday 10 January 2005

Declaration of Friendship! =)

I've received a declaration of friendship from a gf!

Pls allow me to lift from Na's blog: -

"Important
I've decided to make mf my honorary lifetime friend. mf, dear, so far, out of the many many friends I've had come and go in my life, somehow I just have this sense of security and trust in our friendship. I feel like you will never ditch or betray me, but always stand on my side and be there for me, no matter what. I'm really grateful that I have a friend in you. Please stay my friend, eien ni. I promise to be there for you too, whether it's a shoulder (to cry on lah), a listening ear (or two), or blood marrow, or organ. Just not blood lah, coz I'm anemic. Hee!!!
To mf: the best galfren one could ever ask for... Cheers!!!"

Wow..

That from a gf beats any declaration of love, even from a guy I've secretly admired for 10 years (who doesn't exist, btw..)

Thanks, Na :) Even though I'm not entirely sure what I've done to deserve this..

Hmmm, it's interesting how the three generic friendships work: girl-girl, guy-guy, guy-girl.

Among girlfriends, we talk about all the things you read in female magazines. We can debate which guy is cuter; we can discuss our love life; we can kao beh about work and bitch on every other matter. Well, almost. There are also things that, not that we're hiding but we just don't verbalise. I think we don't discuss the good and the bad about each other, like "Hey I think you're my prettiest* friend!", or "Hey, I'm so glad to have you for a friend!"

* Tested! Some years ago, I was feeling sian and asked a number of close friends, "Am I pretty? :p" All replied, I think, but none of the girls gave me straight answers (whereas the guys mostly analysed my face separately from my body, gee..)

As a female myself, I think it's partly because there's some competitive streak in us? Like, we don't like to admit our best girlfriends are better than ourselves. Then we're afraid to cause hurt or hard feelings by discussing the bad points of the other. And, perhaps we tend to take girlfriends for granted? Sometimes?

Let's look at the other gender. I can only roughly guess what guys usually talk about among themselves: work, leisure, girls, and not necessarily in that order.. Oh, and NS :p But what most of them don't talk about with their brothers, I heard from friends plus also read from magazines, are their relationship problems. Though I do know of exceptions.. Not sure why it's like that.. Guys, comments?

Finally, I'll put bf-gf aside and look only at platonic relationships which I'm more familiar with :p I realise this group discusses all that they don't tell their girlfriends/brothers.. Actually it's nothing surprising la, just that I only just piece it together as I started to write this.

That's why I'm especially touched by Na's gesture :)

1 comment:

  1. muacKz from mi too...~* altho I'm pretty sure one of the many bite-mark-bruises on my arm belongs to your set of teeth... Singapore CSI!!! waH so we are a-bite-for-a-bite kankei ka? wakkata. (bares fangs)

    ReplyDelete